Took a break from theming and working on the documentation module to get prepared for a new job. The job will consist of migrating dupal 7 to 8 and so I have been working on migrating an old site I have from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8. The process definitely has a learning curve. To start I created a Vagrant file to build the VM that will hold both sites. I was trying at first to use two VMs but connecting to the legacy database from the second VM was complicated so I just decided to up the memory and create virtual hosts to access the sites from the same VM.
I updated the legacy sites modules and then core to the last minor version of drupal 7 as recommended. I'm going to update to Drupal 8s last minor version which is 8.9. It will be interesting to see if I can just do a core update considering all plugins made for 9 say 8.9 | 9 when I am done with the upgrade. I could upgrade to 9 but for the experience Im going to just go as far as 8.9. Im using drush and at this point I have gotten as far as my first import. Here I have ran into an error importing files and it looks like I will have to start writing my first configuration customizations.